Philanthropic Foundation: Frequently Asked Questions
If your account starts with a 6, or 8, it is a Philanthropic Foundation account and is overseen by University Advancement. Accounts starting with 6 can only expense scholarships. No other spending is allowed. Accounts starting with 8 can be restricted or unrestricted based on the gift agreement or account application.
An endowment fund is defined as a single or combined pool of assets gifted to the California State University, Philanthropic Foundation to provide resources for various activities consistent with the mission of California State University, Dominguez Hills.
Types of Endowments
Endowments are classified as permanent, quasi, or term endowments. Funds can be either restricted or unrestricted within each of these classifications.
- Restricted endowment funds are funds for which the donor specifies how the endowed income will be used.
- Unrestricted endowment funds are funds for which the annual earnings are used at the discretion of the Board of Directors of the Foundation.
- Endowment-Income Distribution Only: Pure endowment funds are those in which the principal amount must remain inviolate in perpetuity. Only the income distributions may be expended.
- Endowment-Income/Principal Distribution: Endowment funds which are those funds for which distributions generally are made from investment income. However, these endowments permit under limited circumstances identified by the Donor or by Foundation policy and law, where some portion of the principal may be distributed.
- Quasi Endowments Funds: Funds which may be treated as an endowment by the Foundation which are generally retained from which earnings are customarily expended and for which principal is retained. The Funds have a specified purpose, either originating from the direction of a donor or the Philanthropic Foundation Board.
- Institutional funds will be retained and invested rather than expended. The quasi endowment must retain the purpose and intent as specified by the donor or source of the original funds and earnings may be expended only for those purposes. Since quasi endowments are established by the institution rather than by an external source, the principal may be expedned as stipulated by the donor.
- Term Endowment:Term endowment funds are similar to permanent endowments except after the expiration of a state period of time or on occurrence of a specified event; all or part of the principal may be expended depending upon the donor’s wishes.
Pure endowment funds are those in which the principal amount must remain inviolate in perpetuity. Only the income distributions may be expended.
Corpus accounts are principle funds that are invested; we found that these accounts’ appearance on reports caused confusion, with many believing they were separate spendable funds. For transparency and when needed, customers can contact email@example.com for Corpus reports
Distribution calculations are performed on 12/31 of each year, any fund established after December (January-June) would not be eligible for a distribution in the upcoming July, but would need to wait another year.
Philanthropic Foundation’s current endowment spending policy allows for a distribution of 4% of the average market value (MV) over a trailing 36-month period for each endowed fund. The distribution is calculated using the 12/31 closing MV and adding the fund’s closing MV for each the previous 36 months, dividing by 36, and muliplying by .04.
Funds can be donated online by accessing the following link
If you have a prospective donor who wishes to donate, setup an endowment, setup a scholarship, or would just like some more information, please contact the Office of Development. Directory Below.
Office of Development Directory
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Office of Development
1000 E. Victoria Street, Welch Hall (WH) 425
Carson, CA 90747
- Jeff Poltorak, Senior Associate Vice President, University Advancement
- Berivan Eisenhardt, Executive Director, Development (Capital Campaign, Planned Giving, NBS)
- Jennalyn “JC” Bass, Associate Director, Development (Capital Campaign, Planned Giving, NBS)
- Angela Perez, Donor Relations Manager
- Jasmina Zuljevic, Director, Development (CAH & COE)
- Su Hwang, Director, Development (CBAPP & CHHSN)
- Arleen Chikami, Director Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Dena Lemmons, Development Support Coordinator
- Peter Lefevre, Senior Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations
Complete a User Account Request Form at https://www.csudhfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/OneSolution-User-Account-Setup_4.12.18-1.pdf
Send the form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is a link to a OneSolution Guide:
In an effort to improve functionality for users, a tab has been created called “Users” which should appear on your screen once you are logged in
Open the Users Tab. These are the most used reports.